Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Haze..AgaiN!!! Man-made disaster...

I have been terribly busy with life these days that I hardly find time to blog. Instead, I read lots and lots of blogs, especially when there's a major incident, critical issue or national disaster hitting us globally or locally, because our local blogs are much more efficient and up-to-date than most national newspapers. :D

Well, today is exceptional. I felt extremely irritated by the incredulous, lamebrained, irresponsible idiots' actions for causing the uncontrollable haze at their neighbouring countries. And this has caused most of us in Malaysia, especially those in Klang Valley to suffer as the haze worsens. It was noted earlier that the air quality has hit the hazardous levels with Air Pollutant Index (API) 410 at Port Klang.

And our government has announced that there is a possibility they will declare 'Darurat Jerebu' (Haze Emergency) if the API reaches 500. *sigh*

Anyway, according to Jeffooi's Screenshots, here's what you should know about API:

The API is obtained from the measurement of fine particles (below 10 microns) and several gases which are hazardous to health such as carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and ozone. The API is used as a guide for measuring air quality and its effect on health as follows:

API VALUE STATUS

* 0 - 50 - Good

* 51 - 100 - Moderate

* 101 - 200 - Unhealthy

* 201 - 300 - Very unhealthy

* 301 - 500 - Dangerous



Besides the terrible haze that has irritated me for the past week, there's 2 more reasons why I am feeling this way.

1. Haze is a man-made disaster. Read the mother of all causes of haze... (from the blogosphere, the National Geographic website, Inside Indonesia 2001, Inside Indonesia 1998, the Forests.org ...)

2. The word "depressed" used in this article to express the feeling of certain people living in the current hazy situation...

Maybe now you understand why I am so annoyed with all this haze craze issue!!

Luckily, I have some friends who share the same views... Suthar, John, GhimEu :)
as the other friends are either having vacation elsewhere out of Malaysia, Simon; or on his way returning to Malaysia at this moment, Kumaran... p/s: word of advice - don't come back to Malaysia yet! ;)

Here's the reason... the President of the university has declared 2 days holiday starting from tomorrow... Yay!!


Fyi, I have a blog entree on "Haze" just half a year back, and now it's happening all over again, worse.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sutharsanan said...

You were right abt the media. I don't blame them. I am just not too happy with their puppetmaster.
So what now? Say sorry to the Indonesian govt. for releasing the API reading? We might just win the fair-play award for being the Nice Boys.....sigh.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home